Thread: Refuge Recovery
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Through a SR Gal Pal, I have eased into some Refuge Recovery ideas and practices. Cuz they suit me. 'Founder' Noah Levine can be found on You Tube giving guided Meditations. There's on-line Meetings, too. I'm not much a Meetings-kinda Guy, so these sorts of Resources suit me better. Kudos to you for knowing that 'something better' is out there for you, and searching for it.

The core understanding for me is to cut to the chase, and deal better with what causes Addictive Behavior, rather than deal with the effects of such Behavior on the back end. That is, you don't use if you gain understanding about why you [and I] use, and try to eliminate or minimize those causes. Refuge Recovery talks a lot about eliminating suffering. That suffering which leads to Addictive Behavior, and negative outlets. All this understanding and Enlightenment is within us, but requires scraping away the 'noise' of old Behaviors. Old Triggers. Old Hurts. Old Patterns. I say 'no' a lot, and am fully at ease with that. That is, avoiding Drinking-oriented events, and Folks who won't help my Sobriety. Or, make a point to hang with Folks who are at least neutral to be around.

So, at a very noob level, I have integrated these practices and ideas, and like how they fit me just shy of 5 Years Sober. There is no 'fight' anymore against picking up; there is now only refinement of the little details that lead to fully living the Sober Life.