View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Valentinus

Originally Posted by Sissyfuss View Post
Why do you feel guilty? She's the one that made the choices that lead her to her present state. I'll bet you were a wonderful daughter and now you want to blame yourself for her disease. It's a mysterious powerful disease that only she can do something about and she may choose not to. But I know what it is to spend an inordinate amount of time and money getting nowhere with my addict. I have learned not to fight her battles for her or let her manipulate me until I couldn't stand myself. I am powerless against her disease and I got that straight from God. May he bless you.
If only I could understand that, it's so hard for me to accept it. It makes it even harder when you live in a culture where family is valued and you must be there for them. I can leave my alcoholic boyfriend, but I can't leave my alcoholic mother because she gave me birth, fed me and took care of me? Destructive behaviour is destructive behavious, it dosen't matter who the person is, but most people don't get that. Or maybe I just don't need others to understand my situation and stand by myself.