Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Fair perspective.

I was sharing an experience I had, and how I genuinely felt.
Right, I understand that. You did not wake up hungover, though. You may have "felt" like it, but you purposefully left that key word out of the subject title for dramatic effect. I get it - you are a creative writer/storyteller, so I understand your reasoning.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
As for newbs - it’s my hope that what they’d see in my post is how utterly grateful I am for my sobriety, how my experience reminded me of that truly terrible experience of waking confusedly from a blackout and into a dizzying and disconnected nausea. How there are times even in long term sobriety that we are shocked into that state again and how sobriety is something we continue to work at and be grateful for even welll down the road. Perhaps they’d also see the goodness of remaining good humored and staying engaged with life in my words..... perhaps they’d only be frustrated at me and say ‘yeah don’t do that’. Whatever the case it’s my personality, my experience and my way of sharing something that happened to me.
To clarify, by newbs, I mean people struggling to string together days, weeks, months, let alone years of sobriety, and not just newbie posters to the site.

I guess the best way I can describe it is I know someone with 15 years. I wouldn't want to wake up to a text that reads, "Woke up horribly hungover..." and a followup text that outlines a blackout morning and gradually reveals it was vertigo. At best, it would not be a funny joke, and at worst, it would be indirectly making light of the struggle we newbs have. Perhaps I'll feel differently if and when I ever have years of sobriety, I don't know.

I know neither of these are your intentions; I'm just clarifying my perspective, is all, and it's a fairly common joke on this board, so I'm not singling you out. You just did it better than anyone else, so I commented on it this time when someone else commented on it

Glad you are feeling better. Vertigo is nasty and scary.