View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
RandyLee1015

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Lkc..... a couple suggestions to consider

It's SO hard because, of our own willpower, we can't stop.....we do need it to live - not from a nutritional standpoint but from a spiritual and mental standpoint (given the physical craving that kicks in once the first drink is taken, I can argue that physically we "need" it as well but I'll leave that alone for now).

Why's it so hard - That's true if you're part of the "we real alcoholics" - aka the chronic alcoholic. The chronic alcoholic cannot, under any circumstances, stop drinking and stay stopped given any human power.

It's just alcohol - no....it's alcoholism (if you're a real alcoholic). The drinking of alcohol is just an outward manifestation of in internal condition. Drinking alcohol treats alcoholism. So, it's more than just the booze - A LOT more. Treat that core problem, the alcoholism, and the drinking problem goes away on it's own.

We don't need it to live - in his/her present untreated alcoholic state, the real alcoholic generally needs alcohol to live. Stopping drinking, and failing to treat one's alcoholism.......for the chronic alcoholic......will lead to death just as surely and just as quickly as drinking one's self to death would. Typically, the dry and untreated alkie will take their own life because they just don't see how life is worth living.

For the real alcoholic, treating alcoholism involves a whole lot more than "not drinking anymore." Everything's got to change......everything - and I don't know too many people who would tell you that's something they run to do......or even want to consider doing. Nope, the average alkie is so self-centered and so selfish that they'd usually rather cling to their current lifestyle right up to the doors of death rather than admit their plan isn't working and start to do something about it.

IF you're a real alcoholic, you're in a fight for your life, no question about it........though you may not realize it presently.

This disease is deadly serious.....and it beats us more often than we beat it - not because we can't win.......but because our pride and our egos keep us from taking the necessary action to implement the necessary changes to bring about the changes required to conquer it.

It doesn't HAVE to be that way though.... there's one solution I know works for sure and it's by implementing 12 little steps into one's life. That one works 100% and has never failed.......IF it's done completely.
How do you know this to be true? There is no science to back up this claim. Why is AA the true way to sobriety? Why are alcoholics failing AA not AA failing them? Why would we not look for other answers if one treatment doesn't work? People die believing they failed because they didn't listen to their sponsor, or go to enough meetings. That is really sad. You have no right to say AA is the ONE cure. I am aware it does for a few but clearly it isn't the only way to stay sober