View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
KarltheheretiK

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Karl

I can't answer for anyone else but it didn't take any special intelligence for me to quit. I was dying.

It didn't take any special intelligence for me to stay quit either.

Intelligence was a hurdle for a long time tho.

I'd said for years that with eveythimg else I'd achieved I'd beat booze too. I'd tame it, I'd control it.

I'd master the way of drinking that 'normal people' had....non obsessional, non extreme, no courting oblivion, take it or leave it.

I'd fought to a standstill.

Finally....after 20 years or so...I fundamentally and honestly surrendered - I accepted this was one fight I could not win.

Alcohol and I had an intrinsically toxic relationship.
There was no way for me to keep alcohol in my life in any viable sense.

I felt joyless and grey for a while...then about 3 months in from quitting, my head cleared and I became more and more aware of a me I'd totally forgotten about.

I think everyone deserves to rediscover that authentic person again.

Its been a great voyage of self discovery rather than self destruction

D
I love the line about rediscovering that authentic person again. In my case, I'm going about it in reverse fashion. I'm trying to rediscover things I loved as a younger person and get back to them. Stuff like listening to music from my youth; buying a cheap telescope and staring at the moon; reading classic pieces of literature; and other things I enjoyed before depression set in. And while the emotional issues I have started decades before the drinking did, they were still brighter times than now.