View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
danrs64

So, you need to save some money and don't want to go to the doc. The way this is nagging on you, you'll be there sooner or later....trust me. The whole Dr. Google thing and worrying about it will drive you to serious "symptoms" and anxiety like you've never felt before. Been there done that.

Eighteen or so years ago, I did the Dr. Google thing when I started feeling pressure in my rib area. And I had itching. Could of sworn I had yellow eyes. Went into the doc. But not before two ER room visits just sure I was having a heart attack. The 2nd time I went into the ER they ran tests, and then I was quite rudely told by the doc to stop coming in, that the ER was a place for people with real medical emergencies. I was so pizzed. How dare he? I just "knew" I had serious issues, was nearing my death bed, and he did not have a clue. I left and went home to possibly die.

Told my regular doc my concerns. He did a physical check up. No concerns there. Ran blood tests. No concerns there. At my insistence after these hellish symptoms for months, he finally did an ultrasound. And said he'd see about a liver biopsy (at my request....I was that far gone with worry).

The results? Liver function tests all normal. All blood tests normal. Mildy fatty liver. He told me to cut back. Already had been at zero for a month or so, and the experience kept me almost completely alcohol free for 8 years, with the occasional few beers for a few years after that.

Now, years later I know (due to non-panicked research) and from previous experience, what I'd recently been experiencing again is a flare up of the fatty liver, and withdrawls (itching). Put on some weight, and started indulging far too much with the booze. A double whammy for fatty liver. So I put the alcohol down again. And over two weeks in this time, symptoms have all but left. I'll go get some LFT's done in a few weeks to ease my mind.

I relay the above experience because I'd been where you seem to be headed, and it was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Almost all of it mentally caused because of Dr. Google. Had myself convinced I had only months / couple years best case to live, and nobody...not the doctor or anyone else was going to tell me different. If I could have made a deal with the devil back then to just give me 5 more good years, I would have.

Well, 20 years or so later, here I am. Last LFT's I had just over a year ago all good, and healthy as a horse according to the doc.

If you are very concerned and need to put your mind at ease a little bit before you go see a doc, check into "Private MD Labs". You can get a liver function panel done for $30, and they'll email you the results. You should see a doc, but at a minimum, at least get some blood drawn to verify if you may or may not have an issue.