Thread: Gabe's Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Gabe1980

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Rachel my lovely friend
It feels good to say your name huh? I know I like that I am me here now....I like that I have nothing to hide.

Anyway.....I read your post.....I din't know if this is OK to say but here goes.

I would not cope with my partner being a heavy drinker. I think that there would need to be more support for me....if people are unable to stop even for a while to be a support, then is there not a problem there? And how easily those with drinking problems will make sober people feel silly....this: "what? You're not going to have a drink with us?" .....err no.

What if you were on medication. Nick is....blood pressure meds that would interact very badly with alcohol....lots of meds interact badly with alcohol....

My mantra was: I am not drinking right now.

I said this over and over to people in the beginning.
I was like you....I DID NOT WANT to stop.....I just didn't want to die.
And saying it like that empowered me....people said oh, sure.
And I didn't have the huge panic of feeling so 'other' so 'different'.

I think your plan to go to more meetings is a very good idea.....draw all of the loving support around yourself that you can. And I hope I didn't overstep too much. ♥♥♥
Hi Suze I know you always check in and it's always really helpful. You haven't over stepped at all. What you said makes total sense - I'm looking for validation for being sober from a bunch of people who are dangerous binge drinkers themselves. I don't think my husband is in a postion to support me. And I need to stop looking to him to motivate me beause he just normalises it and tells me to go ahead......or he get pissed at me because he thinks I'm judging him for drinking when I'm sober. It's difficult to talk about it at home and feel positve because it just highlights his drinking

I think it's just something I can't get from him - and I don't blame him. That's when I need other people to be there. It's all a bit overwhelming to think about but one piece at a time. Rach xxx

Just another thought - my AV loves any supporting evidence to minimise this problem. If I am the only one saying it's serious and everyone else trying to minimise it, my AV just LOVES that. I need more people on my side. xxx