View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is a sub group of AA in the States called the "Muckers", because they really muck up their big books with their highlighters. It's not a bad idea though as it is a text book, and it might make it easier to refer back to parts that rang bells.

A lot if it I compared to my personal experience. A simple statement like the one about losing the power of choice in drink. I could answer yes or no as per my experience_it was yes btw. My experience began to line up with the book at least as far as the problem went.

When I read parts relating to the solution, not a lot of that was in my experience. But when I took the suggested action, I began to see myself in those parts too, as my experience grew. So instead of sitting around talking about drinking, I could talk about things happening in my recovery journey, which actually gave me more in common with the recovered folk.

Another thing some of the Muckers do is to use different colors to highlight different things. It might be green for a suggested course of action, blue for a promise, and purple for a prayer.