View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A couple of thoughts spring to mind.

On your husband's idea to let your friends know about your alcoholism - you have possibly eard the saying that "your secrets will kill you" and this is an example. My friends know about my alcoholism, On more than one occasion that has resulted in them saving me from accidentally injesting alcohol. It has also resulted on one or two coming to me for help over the years. It has been a decidedly positive thing. I say it saved my life because I am certain that I would not recover from another drink. The illness has progressed too far.

Second is a matter of priorities. How important is it to stay sober?If you suffer from alcoholism,we know it is a progressive terminal illness, and the only know solution is complete abstinence, so that is pretty high priority I would say.

If you are just white knuckling it, the reality is you may be going into a situation with no adequate defense against the first drink. You only need to drop your guard for three seconds, thats how long it takes for someone to offer you a drink and you to drink it. Most relapses begin in such a thoughtless and casual way.

So, let's say you a suffering a different kind of terminal illness, and say, on the day of your party, you have a critical appointment for the treatment of the illness, which if missed, will likely cause major complications. What do you do? Cancel the party or cancel the appointment?