View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Branches

I notice that under your moniker you list that you're from a Big City. I live in L.A. There IS a lot of emphasis on booze here - and pot. If you're a person who used to drink, out and about socially, then many of your friends - and they can be very good friends, great people - are drinkers, and so is your spouse. So to me I read your OP kinda like the lament of someone who is newly single and keeps getting invited to social events where everyone is married/has a partner. Sure, there are single people out there too, and they have great lives, but YOUR lifestyle was based around being a twosome and now you're a lonesome in a world of twosomes. And that can suck for a while until you make a new single life. My husband, who quit drinking before I did, used to tell me that it really was not all that fun watching me and our other good friends drink. He enjoyed himself, but he was ready to go home a bit sooner than he used to, and sometimes he stayed home and I went by myself if he was not "feelin' it."
I turned down an invitation this weekend that I knew would involve a bit of drinking along with the planned activity, and while I have determined not to drink, I haven't mastered the skill yet of having fun when every other person in my group is drinking and I'm not. It feels weird talking to someone who's inebriated when I'm sober. I'm sure in time I'll develop a social life that has more non-drinker/non-drinking activities and gain some distance from alcohol being in my life and it won't be "sucky." But sometimes, I have to agree with you, it is , and I mean no insult to anyone else's life, just a reflection on my experience at this particular stage in the journey.