View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Freaking out is a response an emotional experience wrapped around our thinking.

I don't think we can necessarily just stop our emotional responses , too ingrained , too automatic. Which is at least one of , if not the reason why our emotional responses aren't terribly good guides for action.

We can , however, change our 'thinking' eg looking at an issue from a different angle or perspective, change the framing , add new information and sometimes find some information that belongs in the frame that just didn't make the cut the first time.

You said the party was planned prior to you becoming sober, I doubt that ( my framing here) . Sober is the natural state of being, the party wasn't planned before say kindergarten, yeah ?

The party was planned before you stopped drinking, before you decided to be a nondrinker . Well ,okay, granted, but does/will that change your decision? , do you want it to ?

Freaking out happens, can't be avoided, unlike drinking ( definitely avoidable ) , but freaking out can be a little miss placed or directed at the wrong thing or fit into a better framing , yeah ?

Sure an event like that can bring with it being 'tempted' ( an emotional response,btw) but so what , being tempted or not being tempted isn't what makes us nondrinkers, our decisions are .

Don't freak out because you're freaking out , breath you got this