Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Truthseeker11 View Post
And I know not to expect too much when I do quit, other than the obvious stuff like feeling much better physically.
Hi Truthseeker,

I just wanted to challenge this belief a little. I am coming from the place of a particular type of alcholic who followed a specific course of action and recovered, as opposed to the same type of alcoholic (my mother) who refused to follow the same course, and got what she got.

I didn't believe AA would work for me when I started. I only did it because there were no untried alternatives, and I could not go on as I was. I suppose I wasn't expecting much either.

They used to have a saying about writing out what you thought your life would be like after a period of AA sobriety, and read it again at the end of the period. They guaranteed I would sell my self short. And I did, by a country mile.

I had no idea what sobriety could be like so I couched my goals within in terms of reference of the alcoholic mind.

Here is an example, on the employment front. I wanted to be a cab driver. I liked driving and I liked books and it seemed to me cab drivers got to do a lot of both. The police would not allow me a license, God's way of saying he had other plans for me.

Where did I end up? Career wise I became a divisional manager in a national company, then I set up my own business, which I have had for the past 23 years and now enables me to sail the world, a life long dream.

When we get sober, we don't know what God has in store for us. But in my experience we can be reasonably sure it will be a lot better than anything we could imagine at the start of the 12 step journey.