Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Truthseeker11

Thank you all for your kind replies. It’s inspirational to know how bad off you were yet were still able to quit. I am laying in bed right now, I managed to get three hours of sleep. I’m feeling hot and yucky and my heart is pounding a little too hard and I’ve thought about needing a drink to ease my symptoms. I haven’t felt this bad for awhile. The worst is the anxiety and I have to work in a few hours. I’d really like to not drink today but I’m worried that abruptly stopping might be a bad thing for me. The thought of having a drink right now really grossed me out. I’m definitely not craving one.

One of you said the alcoholic road ends in insanity or death. As much as I’d like for this to not be true, I know it is. And I know not to expect too much when I do quit, other than the obvious stuff like feeling much better physically. I know my challenges within myself will still be there and l’ll finally have to confront and deal with them instead of running from them. I guess that’s definitely a scary thought! But I know this is a progressive disease and I have seen it in myself. It just gets worse.

Thanks again and I will definitely be hanging out here. Giving this another try.
I don’t really have a plan. Just replacing the alcohol with cooking which I love to do, and healthy eating, which I used to do a lot of but drinking more has taken away my energy to do that. A lot of spiritual work. Reading this forum. I think I can probably get through the next several days but I’m not sure I’m ready to give up Tuesday night, I wonder if I would be able to go and not drink. It’s pub trivia night and I admit I feel a little anxious if I’m not drinking. I know it will be a great feeling though when I finally break the alcohol/anxiety cycle. As long as I’m drinking, the anxiety isn’t going anywhere.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you too. I don’t know about AA. I went to a few meetings. I’m not sure I felt too comfortable there. I could try a different meeting. I’ll definitely start taking the naltrexone again. I feel more ready than I have in quite some time. My mind just feels damaged, I know it can heal and it will but it just scares me to realize that it’s probably the drinking and I may have damaged my brain. Thankfully I know that with proper nutrition and sobriety I can undo a lot of that. Hopefully today I won’t need that drink. Just lots of water and electrolytes.