View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Lascaux

Made it through day 2 - it helped that it was a busy day at work so I was grateful to get away and scoot straight home without a stop to buy alcohol As soon as I got home I changed into my comfy clothes and am getting ready to chill out sober! Already I'm feeling the first bits of returning clarity and energy.

I'm trying to analyze why I've relapsed so many times and I've discovered one thing. In the past I've tried to go sober, cut calories, add exercise, catch up on chores I'd neglected while drinking, etc. all from Day 1. I'd tell myself I was laying out a sobriety plan but ended up with a horribly long list that just made me want to go back to drinking and forget about it. This time I'm doing it a little different - each day I have one required task: staying sober. I've got things to do - tonight is laundry night, I'm going to update the checkbook, read a little and work on some projects - but those are all optional. It seems counterintuitive - I always thought I needed to load up my schedule so I wouldn't think about drinking, but not having that huge list feels good. I only have one thing I have to do today!