View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bunchie

The alcoholic gets no respect

I feel where I live anyway that alcoholism gets no respect compared to the opiate crisis. I know it is probably based on drunk driving tragedies, but it seems that the heroin addicts are getting all this feel good press, it's like the heroin addict is not at fault for his condition but the alcoholic is judged harshly , society created both and they are both a public health problem , but it seems to me the alcoholic gets jailed , get devices put .in their vehicles , lose their jobs because of the consequences. I know it's the alcoholic's fault , but society has shunned the alcoholic while embracing the heroin addict. For example, my state has looked into legal places for heroin addicts to shoot up, how is this helping society, I know it's because of the alarming overdoses but it just seems to me the drug addicts get embraced with programs , while the alcoholic is told to go to meetings and are treated very harshly in the courts, I think it is because of the drunk driving deaths where alcoholics kill innocent people, whereas the heroin addicts are usually just wandering around cities and methadone clinics asking people for money. They both deserve respect , it just has me confused as I seek help for my drinking problem .I called a place for help and the counselor or whomever, listened for a minute and abruptly told me to go to a meeting and then hung up.Where I work a person was drug and alcohol tested failed the alcohol test he had .02 alcohol level , drinking from the night before, they would not let him drive a truck for 6 months he had to stay in garage and work, he never lost his license does not have a drinking problem, but was treated very harshly. Three weeks later a heroin abuser crashed his truck , went away to program for 6 weeks paid and is back now driving a truck, where is the fairness there?