Thread: End of Journey
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Wholesome

I don't "do" anything to stay quit. I quit and that's that. The idea that I have to do something in order to not pick up a drink and pour down my throat is AV, and I know what to do with those kinds of thoughts, they go straight into the chuck bucket.

I hang out here on SR because I like being around others who've been through it and get it. I also like to try to help new people. I don't do it because I have to, I do it because I want to, and I can do it on my own time and in the privacy of my own home. If I thought I had to go to meetings or do service work to "keep" my abstinence, I would also find that to be a depressing future. It helps some people though.

I'm in my second year and these days I rarely think about drinking even when I'm around it. Being a non drinker has become my personal truth, it's non-negotiable. It requires zero effort. That took some time though, the first few months it was at the forefront of my mind all the time, but gradually I settled into this new way of life until it just became the way it is.