Thread: I met a guy...
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whatsagirltodo

I met a guy...

And you guessed it, he is an alcoholic.

So the story goes, I recently met this great guy (we have only been "dating" for about 5 weeks) we really hit it off and we have a lot in common.

We met online and started texting for about 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks he told me he hadn't had a drink since right before we started chatting, and that his doctor told him to stop because of his depression. He also admitted that he was on the antidepressant Prestiq - where I had coincidentally begun also talking antidepressants at roughly the same time as he - but for my anxiety.

Anyway, initially he seemed to be fine but complained that the antidepressants he was on were upsetting his stomach. He also didn't like the side effects and decided to stop taking them. (I am having success however)

Fast forward 2 weeks into talking over the phone and texting. I eventually asked him if he would be up for meeting in person. He kind of stressed to me that he was nervous about the idea and that he had a hard time dealing with intense emotions in these kind of situations but I understood and decided to let him to lead the way in regards to this.

Fast forward a few days after that suggestion and I get a call from him randomly saying he's in my area and he wants to meet because he couldn't wait any longer. I thought fine, then met him in the parking lot where he said he was. He got out of his car, and I peered down to see an open beer in his car. It became increasingly clear that he was drunk. I didn't want him driving home, so I asked him to lock his car and come hang out while he sobered up.

We ended up chit chatting well into the night, and he eventually left. We really hit it off and continued to talk. Pretty much since that evening, I have seen strange behaviour from him. He doesn't have a job, and sleeps the majority of the day. I also started receiving texts at all hours of the night. Nothing major really, mainly just Youtube links to songs or videos he wants me to hear.

This was all until this past weekend, when we decided to spend Friday night hanging out. After I was done work, I went to his place with a bottle of wine. We hung out and bantered for hours, and laughed like crazy. This was the first night we hungout where both of us were really drinking. Prior to this evening, we would just hangout and things seemed normal.

I feel like over this weekend a switch went off in his brain. We were laughing and having fun one minute, then the next I could hear him throwing up in his master bath. I was standing in his living room when I also heard him yelling "F*** You!" at himself and I was immediately on alert. This was a wake up call that this guy was really, really drunk. He then after said something to me that really bothered me, so I decided to pack up and leave.

After I came home that was when I was bombarded with texts about how he got to my home town, and his family sent him here to get help. He has obviously relapsed and I can't help but feel it's my fault, but he shouldn't have been on an online dating site if he weren't ready. I now know that he has suffered from addictions to both drugs and alcohol in the past, and he should be actively seeking treatment.

He slept for a near 24 hours after that, to which he called and apologized, crying on the phone because he didn't want to lose what we have started to develop

I have now come to learn that as of today, he is hanging out with someone who is also in his recovery program, and they are evidently relapsing together.

I don't know what to do. I have been doing a ton of research over the last few days on substance abuse, what the individual goes through, the program - anything I can to understand what he is going through.

I really need some advise on what I should be doing from here. I have mentioned to him today that I am concerned and need some time to think. I have obviously not been with him long at all but I have already developed feelings and a connection to him, and he is absolutely crazy about me in return.

Please help? What can I do?