View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Gilmer

So I was feeling frazzled but fine yesterday, and a friend/acquaintance of mine, being shocked and upset at the news, wanted to get together for one of our periodic lunches.

Typically I listen to the travails of her life, partly because she’s got some serious problems with a family member that typically have far outweighed any tiny problem I might have had, and partly because I have the position of being her Community Group leader in our church, so I have a (voluntary) responsibly to care for her and ensure that she’s got a shoulder when she needs it—plus, I like to take her out and show her a lighthearted, fun time, because she is someone who is really and truly trapped in a bad situation.

It brings me joy to give her a break.

Just writing that out made me feel better.

(Writing works far better for detangling my emotions than talking)!

Anyway, we’ve been going back and forth trying to decide on a date.

Usually I’m pretty flexible, but my July is filling up, and I consider August already full. Traveling, though fun, will be stressful for me, and I don’t want to run ragged in my downtime.

Anyway, after much back-and-forth, we finally picked a date—then she said, “Whoops! I forgot I have to pick my brother up at the airport!” Can you do this or that date?”

No.

I am well aware that family is important to her—but she literally has about 50 extended family members between her and her husband, and she constantly puts all 50 of them first before all other social obligations.