View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Amusic

Originally Posted by Lizajane View Post
If you go that route, I would suggest getting someone to stay with you or staying some where else when the locks are changed. Move out for a week and send his calls to spam. Leave him a letter because he will not listen to your verbal messages, he just spins your words and yells. It will be there for him to reread when he is sober. Have someone else give him the key to the storage facility or drop off his things. Talk to him on your terms, not his. He will be calling angry and drunk. Meet him in public during the day to discuss closure to relationship matters. I don't know where you live, so I have no idea what the cohabitation laws are.
I think you need to get out of this situation immediately. His violent behavior is not excused by his drinking. I think your need to do this when he is absent stems from a real fear of his emotional and physical abuse when you tell him. You might want to have a talk with the local police about your plan and they might post someone to keep the peace.

If you want out of your lease, then letting the landlord know that you have a room mate and the current situation might be helpful. I don't know your lease terms. If it says a room mate is cause for additional fees or forfeit of your security deposit, then you need to think about that. If it says it is grounds for eviction, then they may oblige you. If you want to keep the apartment for yourself, then that is no help.
Your boyfriend is not going to get better in this situation. You are doing the right thing. He needs to be on his own and let his drinking take him to a place where he decides to get sober or it does not.

Take care of your safety first. When people are drunk they are unpredictable and he already sounds like he has a bad temper with inclinations to violence.

(Amusic)
Thank you. That is a good idea about writing a letter instead of talking to him. As he won't listen anyway. I've given so many warnings that if he keeps up this lifestyle I will leave him. But I've never followed through because we live together and it's like a trap. He acts like living like this is normal. Anyway. Thank you. I've already looked into a storage unit and trying to prepare for this long over due release.