View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
wheekie

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Hi wheekie, just dropping by to say hello.

Have you been diagnosed with depression or another illness? I'm asking since I always wonder about whether it's necessary to be on long-term meds for anything - be it mental or physical. I have high cholesterol (genetic) and I told my doc he could certainly try to prescribe me statins but I would fire him as my doc if he did. I know that's a physical not psychological health issue, but that's where I come from on patient autonomy.

We have folks here who are very happy on long term medications for psychological issues, so they certainly can work well.

It seems you are on a long-term antidepressant, as well as gabapentin, then Ablify.

Before the mods tick me off for giving medical advice, all I'm wondering is:
- Have you been diagnosed with depression or another illness to warrant the long-term medications?
- Have you ever sought a 2nd opinion on the meds?
Yes, diagnosed with anxiety (primary) and depression as a result. So, I've been on lexapro and abilify for several years. I'm not taking the gabapentin. Both lexapro are very small doses as I've weaned myself down off of them...not completely yet. Remains to be seen...and one thing at a time.

And yes, I've gotten second opinions. They were in agreement. However, I've wondered if sex hormones, adrenals and/or thyroid have played a role after getting some weird labs. Unfortunately, mainstream medicine is very myopic and even their answer to hormone issues is anti-depressants! They won't treat thyroid until it's almost completely non-functioning and even then Synthroid is the standard protocol.

I've wanted to go to a functional or integrative medicine doc for sometime but insurance doesn't cover a lot of that and it's very expensive...if I weren't as broke as I am I would shell for it.