View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ProfessorD

Wasn't always this way

Hi everyone. I am trying to quit drinking, and I have had some starts and relapses on this site since joining in January. I'm plugging away at that and making progress, but I have a question about anxiety.

I've noticed that I've gotten increasingly anxious and worried in the last couple of years. It's common for me to spend the whole day in bed worrying and feeling upset about something that is totally minor like making a phone call, handling a bill/payment, dealing with a real estate agent, or driving somewhere unfamiliar, etc. I often lose entire days to this kind of worry. I'm worried, so I don't work or do anything productive. And then I worry about how little I'm getting done. The thing is, I wasn't always like this, and I'm not necessarily a shy or reserved person in other areas of my life. I don't experience anything like a panic attack (from what I've read online). Just...low level anxiety about mundane ordinary tasks.

I need to see a therapist, but I've been putting it off. (I have new insurance kicking in next month, so waiting). But my question for now is, can anxiety develop like this later in life? And how do I know the difference between anxiety and just...being a nervous person? Not asking for medical advice, just if anyone has a similar experience.