View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NoahJ

My experience with neuropathy recovery

Don’t: google these symptoms
Do: Go see a doctor

I had an official diagnosis of neuropathy. The neurologist told me it would probably take months to years to get better. As far as the time frame for me,..It got WORSE for the first month after quitting - alcoholism related nutritional deficiencies aren’t necessarily quick to overcome. It takes awhile to incorporate those b. Vitamins into nerve cells.

Months 2-8 saw a lot of relapse/remission of those symptoms. 1 day without numbness, 3 days numb, twitches appearing and disappearing, the burning pain... but mostly numbness and weakness.

After 8 months, things really started to get better, and quickly. Diet, vitamins (dr prescribed) and exercise all helped. At around 14 months I feel about 90-95% of the way back. And pushing 15 months of complete abstinence, I’m still troubled by some occasional numbness and occasion perceived grip weakness, but that usually doesn’t stay too long.

I almost like staying only 90-95% recovered. The benign and occasional physical reminder of my active addiction keeps it real...

Goddamn though, going through the battery of exams and testing was the scariest thing I ever did.