View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Originally Posted by mirrorball
I'd like to think I can make it stick this time. How do I know when I've turned the corner?
When you've quit questioning it.
Thoughts, including questions, that come to mind are perfectly harmless. With Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, you know what to do with them.

For instance, I can shift my thoughts into a questioning mode and come up with the idea “What if I wait and have a drink on my deathbed, like a famous recovery person tried to do?” There, I actually thought about having a double scotch on the rocks with the ice tinkling the glass and recognized the attraction. Maybe it could augment pain medication I might be taking, if any, when I’m about to die.

Well, all I did next is to Recognize that question as my Addictive Voice. It was not ME. I cannot still feel the desire to drink or drug some more. When the desire arises, and comes to consciousness, I simply separate and call it my AV. All grief over not drinking/drugging and loss of the whole “high” persona is IT.

About quitting the assault of chemically induced deep pleasure by taking the Big Plan pledge, I use the analogy of going out of the blinding sunshine into a world famous museum. Everything inside is dimly lit to protect its longevity. At first you can’t see a damn thing. You might “turn the corner” and harmlessly bump into a wall. Then, as your eyes acclimate you begin to see the most incredible things, things that need no further adjectives to explain their awesomeness, the life of a teetotaler.