Thread: Payday cravings
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At ninety days it's not your body, unless there is some other chemical in the picture that is triggering the craving.

Usually, by this time the problem can only be in the mind. What we AAs call the insanity of the first drink. Something goes wrong with the memory and the ability to make sane rational decisions aound alcohol.

Where, a few weeks or months ago, we were horrified at where alcohol had taken us, we were overwhelmed with the sheer awfulness of what had been happening to such an extent that we wanted to stop for good - a moment of true sanity, we now find the picture looks entirely different.

The reasons why we should not drink maybe still there, but they don't have the same force. Other thoughts that come from the obsession of the mind, start to be more credible. Based in the memory of the time that alcohol actually worked for us, we begin to wonder whether we are making too much of a minor problem. Perhaps things were not actually that bad, and now, after a period of sobriety, my physical health is better, people are off my back, maybe I can manage a couple of drinks this time.

After all, I don't really want to get drunk so much as relax and experience that good feeling I used to get from just one or two srinks.

It is like solid evidence gest to be overcome by wishful thinking. Unfortunately, this problem with the mind seems to stay with us until we do something about it. It is the reason the idea of just not drinking doesn't keep many of us sober. The problem is not the booze, it is the alcoholic mind.