View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rayna87

This is too easy

I am going on 2 weeks of not drinking. I haven’t been hungover in 2 weeks. I used to barely go 2 days without feeling like death. I’ve been tired, had some weird nights of sleep, but nothing like those nights I don’t even remember.

I feel like this is going way too easily well. Like I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop, for the issues to set in. But they’re not. I don’t want wine. I don’t want to go to the bar. I actually DID go to a bar last weekend, to drink cranberry juice and see my best friend, as opposed to sitting home alone all weekend. Said best friend was drunk out of her mind, and I was repulsed by it and my former life. No triggers, no desires, no nothing. If anything, i was happy to have gone to the bar and seen her acting a fool, it reinforced my decision. I’ve read peoples’ posts...this can’t be that easy, can it? The real hard part must be coming?

I come from a long line of Irish drinkers, and my grandmother quit cold turkey one day. She had a bad night, woke up in a bad place (literally) and that was the end of that. Maybe I’ve inherited her bullheadedness? I don’t know, but I’m scared of letting my guard down, and then getting caught off guard. But then again, I feel like if the above-referenced best friend, or even my family, were to want to hang out this weekend, I feel very confidently that I could safely go out with them, have a couple of drinks SOCIALLY (as opposed to what the best friend looked like last weekend) and also go back to being this normal self the next day that i have recently found, with no problems.

There’s no way this can be that easy. What am I missing?