View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Buckley3

Simply acknowledging that when I drink, bad things happen and being done with it. Admitting that I can't control it and that the only reasonable choice is for me to stop before I kill myself or worse - someone else. Just letting go. I don't need a reason, I don't need to explain it, I don't owe anyone an explanation. I just am done with booze.

The relief that comes with that.... it's pretty awesome.

That's pretty much it for me.

As for the other stuff....

Use the door of sobriety to go to work on the depression and anxiety. That stuff is there for a reason. It may be physiological, it may be psychological, it may be a mix of both. But have hope - our brains can rewire if we put ourselves in nurturing, positive environments. It may take awhile, but it can and does happen. Of course, none of that happens while drinking and none of that happens quickly.

Sometimes - very often - I find that my anxiety is a direct result in my expectations. I've set goals - tangible goals - and remind myself when I start feeling anxious that I have a plan and to trust myself. That helps. Also helps to force myself to get out and about and get myself occupied so that I'm not stuck in my head.

And then, of course, some days just suck. So sometimes I just hunker down, eat some good (healthy) comfort food, and binge watch YouTube or a TV show or something. I think every now and then it's ok to just say screw it, I'm going to rest and check out for a bit.

Main thing is to learn self compassion. You have to treat yourself well.

Hope any/ some of that helps?

-B