View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
topspin

Originally Posted by wheekie View Post

Anyway, I thought a lot of what I was feeling was just my usual depression/anxiety.

But, then I wondered if maybe it's mostly alcohol withdrawal, which is scary. I guess I'm facing the fact that I may have some level of physical dependence on it.

I'm already feeling super anxious again because of work tomorrow. There are moments I just don't know if I can do it. Like I just want to quit everything and hide but I can't of course. The urge is so powerful.

Welcome to SR wheekie !

I think you are right to suspect those symptoms as withdrawal ,...and ultimately part of the spectrum of dependence .

The good news is you recognizing it now . for what it is ,....rather than having everything slowly spiral downward for who knows how long ?

I think you can expect a brief period when your mind ,..and body adjust to total sobriety , ….. ( I think of it as a natural unmolested state )

Just like exercise is a stress to the body ,.....and the body responds by getting stronger . Your decision to abstain permanently may initially be mentally stressful ,...but will bring you back to your old self where self discipline and motivation are like breathing ,....

Any thoughts to drink in the near future ,...or far off future are truly just a mental expression of your dependence . Mine certainly diminished as the weeks and first months went by ,...... that's the norm from what I've read here over the last 7 years ,...…. every reason you should expect the same .

I was told early on to stay focused on ,.. not. picking up that devastating first drink .

The thought being ; ….

Topspin not taking the first . drink = Topspin never drinking .

wheekie ,..... You got this !!