Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Pipefish

What a great thread, good to meet you all.

Am truly impressed you would cry, rather than smoke Cosima, that is what seems to be what smoking does (among many other things) enable us to contain feelings that need release! Crying, laughing, exercising, dancing, whatever it is, just not smoking.

My stop date was March 25 2018, no smoking since then, no vaping, or NRT, just a cold turkey quit. The only thing I focused on was not smoking, and am only just now, beginning to reign in on sweet things, and replace those sweet things with a reasonable amount of fruit each day. It's a work in progress, and have gained some weight, but nothing to scream about. And the liberating thing is that, not smoking, am slowly becoming less breathless, and so inclined to move around more.

Having smoked since I was 16 years old (am 51 this year) fairly heavily throughout that time (20+ a day, in the last 20 years, roll-up tobacco mainly, but tailor made when affordable) I got to a point autumn last year when I was both sick and tired of it, and fearful about the impact of smoking on my body, and gradually cut down, and down, to less than 10 per day, prior to stopping altogether. I set a date when life was fairly quiet (as much as we can control these things!) and so far, that was that....

It is though as they say, not the stopping, it's the staying stopped...main motivators at the moment is the much improved state of my teeth, that my time is not dictated by, or at the beck and call of a substance, and I can smell, and taste like I haven't experienced for a very long time.....

And agree about cold turkey...it's not something I'd want to go through over and over (like I endured with drinking) so that's a sobering thought when applied to whether or not I smoke today....am very grateful not to be smoking