View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Thoughts On Shame

This stems from another thread brought around recently on overcoming embarrassment .... things done while under the influence that later people are embarrassed about.

It got me thinking further about shame and the "nature" of shame.

*sigh*

Ever felt ashamed of something that WASN'T even your fault? I think of rape victims here. So many of them feel ashamed, even though they were clearly and totally the victim. Why IS that, I wonder?

Ever still feel ashamed of something you did years ago that you haven't even repeated again for a long long time? I have.

It's almost as if shame takes hold and has these talons that hang on to your psyche....

I think the enemy of our soul would like us to "hide" because of our shame. To isolate. To not come out of hiding and seek/ask for help. You see, that way...shame keeps us in bondage. Not able to experience true liberty of spirit.

That same enemy would love for us to worry excessively about what others think of us and assume they think badly of us. True there are some folks who cannot seem to forgive....but there are just as many others, if not more who do forgive and love unconditionally.

Have I had opportunities to love others unconditionally and let those opportunities pass me by? This is a searching question for me lately. What is unconditional love? What is tough love?

There is no magic potion called "shame be gone". If there was someone could make a fortune on it. In other words....there are many many folks in this world who are carrying shame around and have not idea how to let it go. They've tried. It's not like they haven't tried. But it's still there....hanging on....can't shake it loose....can't send it off somewhere far away...it's just there.

What has worked for you?