Thread: Take Your Pills
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wholesome

I've heard before that ADD can mimic the signs of trauma and abuse in children. I believe it too and it makes me really sad. I will never be convinced that giving kids amphetamine is the answer. The doc Take Your Pills delves more into using Adderal and Ritalin for performance enhancement. The thing is is that these drugs make everyone feel like they are performing better, that's the effect of the drug. It makes the user more focused and alert, that's what speed does.

Like I said earlier, I was told with both my boys that they had ADD, and there was nothing wrong with them. It was me and their dad. I left their dad over abuse, yet they still see him all the time and have also been verbally abused by him. He also has substance abuse issues. At my house I'd been through some very hard times and became an alcoholic. I'm doing better now, but there is not a doubt in my mind that my behavior negatively affected them and that they acted it out at school. That was no reason for them to be medicated, other than to make it easier for the adults to deal with them. My boys are doing way better in every way that matters since I got my act together. I'm so glad that I didn't listen to the school and their psychologists and give my kids these pills. This is my personal experience of course, and I don't mean to speak to others experiences.

I've only watched the first segment of the video you shared so far. I don't have time for the rest today, but I'll watch it over the weekend. I think 2 things - first, not paying attention to something that one finds boring is not a sign of brain malfunction. Second, impulse control in children is very common because the frontal cortex of the brain isn't fully formed until the 20's.

Here's an article about ADD being misdiagnosed when it's trauma and abuse.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-adhd-050614#4

It also reminds me of the ACE study.