View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
It was somewhere in one of the stories in that section. I have a fourth edition.
sweeti, the personal stories are just that- personal stories. heres something else the stories mentioned:
Many tried everything—hospitals, special treatments,
sanitariums, asylums, and jails. Nothing worked. Lone -
liness, great physical and mental agony—these were the
common lot. Most had taken shattering losses on nearly
every front of life. Some went on trying to live with alcohol.
Others wanted to die.
Alcoholism had respected nobody, neither rich nor poor,
learned nor unlettered. All found themselves headed for the
same destruction, and it seemed they could do nothing
whatever to stop it.

since thats whats in the stories, does that mean everyone should take drinking to that depth,too?
of course not,right?

the program of AA is in the first 164 pages.
heres something from the first 164 pages:

Now about health: A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative. We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health. But we have seen remarkable transformations in our bodies. Hardly one of our crowd now shows any mark of dissipation.
But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.

if you want to ditch AA, again, thats your choice. however, doing it on your own is how you got in this predicament, with the consequences getting worse,dont you think?. so i hope you decide against that.
i dont know- one month AA, your sponsor,and the members in AA are awesome the next youre not going back. personally it reads like ya heard what ya needed to hear and not what ya wanted to hear. thats just how it is and how it should be. we aint gonna hear what we want to hear all the time- recovery orr not- it ..
ive gotten PMs from mods.sure as hell wasnt what i wanted to read but it was what i needed to read.