Thread: Take Your Pills
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nomis
Recognizes the Beast

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
I agree with you tyler. I think it's loathsome how these pharma companies are allowed to directly market to people. I'm Canadian and we have different laws here about the practice, but I've still be exposed to the commercials from TV - it shows a complete lack of principles. It really is capitalism at its worst to be targeting children with a serious mind altering drug for a condition that is questionable in its authenticity.
So I work in schools as well. Often when I see what are typical symptoms of ADHD, I interpret that as chronic stress in the child. I don't think there is a conspiracy on the part of big pharma to medicate children and get rich doing it. I think, as of right now, this is society's answer to a silent epidemic, child hood trauma.

BillieJean, growing up in a household where both parents abused alcohol automatically puts your children at an increased risk of all sorts of physical and mental health problems. That's not to say they will suffer those things, just their risks are greatly increased. The brain develops in relation to it's environment, more so than any other organ. And you can't separate the body from the mind.

So I haven't watched the Netflix doc. But I'll make you a deal. I'll watch it, if you watch this four part talk by Gabor Mate on ADHD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qrefjmpvqs

We still might not agree with each other at the end of the day, but we'll both be better informed.