View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I feel calm and more determined than ever to get another sober month.

This morning I woke up soooo hungry. Which is good and makes sense given my calorie restriction and working out regimen right now, but I was worried I was going to binge. I ate two slices of cheese, then made a larger than usual bowl of greek yogurt and almond butter....well, I ate only half of the bowl and felt too full to keep eating. So, the moral of the story is: my body is on my side if I listen to it. I'm stronger than I think, and I didn't binge. I ate just enough, then I was full.
Beautiful ProfD. It's really amazing when we can get to the place where we can actually hear what our body wants and needs. If anyone is interested, these are the steps we learned in my spiritual class, around food and each meal:

"When you sit down to eat, ask yourself if there is anything else you need other than eating. If there is, take care of that and do it. If there is not, then you can eat. Ask yourself if what you are eating is what your body really wants (by taste, touch, smell, sight, and thought). Use your full awareness to see what food your body really wants if any. Take deep breaths, and contact the feeling in your belly of effortlessly receiving nourishment for the purpose of joyfully and joyously growing. Take three deep breaths, and acknowledge that the most important nourishment comes from spirit. Eat with presence. Eat only when you are relaxed into effortless taking in nourishment to grow physically, emotionally, cognitively or spiritually. Eat more slowly and experience more dimensions of eating. "

I haven't been doing this, I will admit but when I was it actually worked. I found my body didn't want eggs for about week and a half (probably because I was vegan for so long.) But then I started binging again and it's very hard to connect with my body when I am actively hurting it.