Thread: Living in fear
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I didn't realize that. My understanding, from what I've seen posted at SR was that a Doctor would know what is best when prescribing medications.
From what I've understood from here is that some medical professionals don't always appreciate that an alcoholic is likely to get addicted to Benzos and have a hard time getting back off them. And also (this but is from personal experience as well), alcoholics can be extremely reluctant to give their doctor the full picture, for a number of reasons. And this can mean the doctor prescribes something that he spwouldbt usually give to someone of an addictive nature.

Living free of fear is one of AAs specialities. Not necessarily stopping fears pop up, but learning how to deal with them when they do. And AA you probably could go to every day if you needed it. Admittedly, walking into the first meeting isn't the most relaxing of experiences lol. BUT usually people leave even that first meeting feeling more hope and less fear. After a while those meetings become a haven, and somewhere to get an improved perspective.

The physical side of things is only a small part of Recovery.

BB