View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I'm not a parent, but I understand why you might feel that way Less. It’s great that you found the strength and support you need to keep going in your family. I can only wish anyone struggling your courage and determination. It’s just for me suicide is not as simple as ‘being selfish’… Mental health issues are serious, and I could never damn anyone for suffering.

I struggle a lot with depression, self-injury and suicidal ideation, I attempted suicide a few times and I don’t know man, it’s hard to explain… I think a lot about my family and the impact my death would have on them - the excruciating pain it would cause them. But in these moments, it’s like I’m already gone.

I came across this interesting thought while watching a silly show I love called Sherlock. 😉 This quote helps me when I’m in a very dark place;

“Taking you own life. Interesting expression — taking it from who? Once it’s over, it’s not you who’ll miss it. Your own death is something that happens to everybody else. Your life is not your own. Keep your hands off it.”

So far, it's one of the strongest reasons I could find to stay alive. I try to keep living so I can help and support others, even if sometimes it feels like I can't bear taking care of myself. I'm worried that one day I might be too sick and messed up to think about other people, but hopefully there will be a kind soul around me to help instead of calling me selfish...

Love to all. Thanks for reading!
Beautiful post, thank you for sharing very personal and difficult truths. And btw my son loves Sherlock that quote is a keeper!