View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think there is some serious judgement being posted on this thread.

I have enormous sadness and compassion for Anthony Bourdain. I cannot imagine the immense emotional pain he must have been fighting.

Let's remember that this is a community of support. Discussing depression and suicide is fine, but let's keep in mind that we are here to support each other and not to point a finger at someone who has made a truly desperate decision.

Please use this instance as an opportunity to look at people in your family, in your life and see if there is someone there who you could reach out to.
Judgment towards Bourdain, perhaps - but I don't see it directed towards each other here.

And I do judge Bourdain, as I judge the people who were part of my life who made the same decision as him. I know many, very well, who have suffered deeply, but have made the hardest of decisions NOT to kill themselves, in order to protect their loved ones from the inevitable and horrible pain.

It is the right time to reach out. It's also the right time to look at all the social media posts, Twitter is awash with them, where Bourdain has alcohol in his hand. He glorified what, if he was suffering from depression, clinical or not, he should have forsaken.