View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hi.

First, I want to wish fellow SRers well, especially my friend Venuscat.

I understand the desire to take off pounds. I have been in that boat more often than not. And in the spirit of SR, I want to make a positive contribution to any conversation where I post. So I hope that what I have to say will be recognized for having been delivered in goodwill and supporting a healthy, sober community.

I think this thread has crossed a line several times in terms of medical advice.

To come on to SR and see a post that reads "We actually don't need carbohydrates! " is disconcerting. Yes, we do need them. To see the American Diabetes Association knocked around isn't helpful. If they are putting forth recommendations based on peer-reviewed, published studies in credible scientific journals (by, say, board-certified endocrinologists), it's because it's the best science has to offer. Not real sexy, I know. But ... science.

I really get that people want to support each other and I support you, too. But please be careful. It would be helpful to encourage others to seek a physician's help before embarking on any kind of diet that calls for changes as significant as the ketogenic diet. There are legitimate concerns about muscle loss and potential impact on kidneys, for starters. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...etogenic-diet/

I wish you well and hope that people can benefit from one another's responsible support.
I appreciate your post and your opinion. I will definitely be more careful with my opinions on diet and for the record I would expect anyone here to do their own research before making any big dietary changes. I was speaking about keto to someone who also followed the diet and agrees about the poor labeling of our consumer products. As someone who followed a low fat diet as pushed by mainstream media for decades I can tell you I suffered greatly because of it. Keto has done wonders for me and so I am always excited to share it with others who may also struggle with binge eating plus countless other ailments it can help with. I follow several physicians (and a very well known Canadian nephrologist) who are changing their patients lives daily because of this diet but again you are right that I got carried away with it (again because of how much it intrigues and interests me. ) My purpose of this thread was to commit to abstinence from sugar and flour and low carb eating is the only thing that has helped me do that.

As for the ADA we can agree to disagree on that one as well as on the safety of the ketogenic diet. I have been researching it for over 20 months now and can also point to studies and research as well that show its efficacy and muscle sparing effects, not the opposite.

Thank you again for your comment and I apologize for taking this too far and for offending anyone.

I hope others can still find value in this thread because I started it from a place of compassion, empathy and love. Nothing more, nothing less.