Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bringmeback7693

Really glad you're on there. I'm young and in AA as well and I was terrified of losing my social life or of being isolated. It feels weird to get sober in your 20s and it sounds like you know that you need to. What I can tell you is I've found a LOT of amazing cool young people in AA who are even more fun to hangout with than my drinking friends were. Some of my drinking friends have fallen to the wayside but the ones who truly love and care about me have stuck around.

As for having one drink at a wedding or party, were you ever able to successfully have one drink and not think about the second one? For me, I wasn't, and it prevented me from enjoying those situations. Yes, it is hard to see other people drinking around me, and I'm still working on that. For now I've just held a drink, juice , soda water, coffee, red bull, etc. and others hardly notice. I've also been noticing that most people around me only have 1-2 drinks. That's something that I was rarely if ever able to do, and it bothered me so much when I couldn't drink the way *I* wanted to.

My suggestion? Go to a young peoples AA group. Look up the link for your local city and try to find one. It really has helped me. Best of luck.