Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
argillaceous

13-year-old greyhound going for surgery tomorrow

Hi all, I've been a member over a year but I don't normally post in Newcomers.

But feel I need to now. My sweet greyhound, Penny, is going into surgery tomorrow. She has had breathing problems and a recent scoping revealed bilateral laryngeal paralysis.

We are eternally grateful it is not cancer, but it is still a major surgery. The surgeon will tie back one or both of her paralyzed laryngeal flaps. Luckily, the prognosis is good. She'll have lifestyle changes such as having to eat the rest of her life while standing on a ramp to position her at a 30-degree angle, will never bark again, and will cough every time she drinks water. A cake walk compared to some other scenarios.

And..she'll be able to breathe! It's been so hard to hear her struggle as it's gotten worse. Her exercise is extremely limited and it takes real effort for her to draw a breathe even at rest. She is otherwise a healthy 2-year-old in a 13-year-old body. She is the most playful, endearing dog I have ever met.

As of today, I have eight days under my belt. This is only the second time this year I have surpassed seven (lots and lots of twos and threes) and I'd like to keep the momentum going. So I am posting. I feel good now but I'm a little worried about the days ahead.

I lost my other greyhound, Argus (seen in my avatar), in June of last year after 12 years together (he was almost 14). (Penny has been with us for 11 years now). I so appreciated the support of the SR community during that time.

I've been thinking about Argus a lot lately, (lots of tears and missing him so) and just the thought of Penny's mortality frightens me to my core. I have no "skin kids" so my furkids are it...

Attaching one of my favorite pics of Penny taken a couple of years ago. Please keep her in your thoughts tomorrow and the coming days as she works through recovery. And me, too, as I work through mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Penny_Girl.jpg (96.1 KB, 117 views)