Old 06-05-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Oh man I know learned helplessness extremely well. Pretty sure it developed out of childhood abuse and neglect. Ok, that sounds very melodramatic. My childhood was good too. But there was sexual abuse at a young age and emotional neglect. There were good bits too But an overall feeling of powerlessness and loneliness prevailed.

It is interesting how folks often react to the message in AA...me included. That I am powerless over EVERYTHING. That I have to surrender to everything. Those of us that have experienced trauma tend to run 'to the bank' with these phrases and think 'hell no, I'm not powerless'. Because for me, based on my childhood, the thought of powerlessness meant being traumatized. Getting in the middle of the herd meant being trampled. But I've learned to back way off that black and white thinking. I am powerless over alcohol...which frankly I gave all power to, kind of like a God really. That I had to surrender to the fact that I cannot drink without massive, even deadly, consequences. And in doing so, I took the power of my life and my reactions back from alcohol. The idea that I am powerless over everything outside of me is also empowering. I stopped focusing on other things and people (which I don't control) and started focusing on me, which I do control. It makes life much easier, actually. But there is no room for blame or self pity in this model...something my addiction doesn't like a whole lot.

I think learned helplessness is rendered ineffective when I take control of my actions and feelings. I learn that I am not helpless by focusing on what I have control over, me. And owning my shlit, not blaming others. Learned helplessness is the ultimate pity party. Pity only leads to one thing...drinking. So it is off the table.