View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Arpeggioh

I've always said that food issues are way more complicated than addiction to drugs and alcohol because, as you said, we all have to eat; we can't just give it up like smoking or drinking. Well, we could, but then we'd like, die and stuff...

I'm diabetic, and spent my first sober year eating like I'd never heard of diabetes; when I finally checked my blood sugar and had labs done in April, they were grotesquely and dangerously high (well, duh!) and I got scared straight, begged my MD to put off prescribing insulin injections because I'd seen the light and was a changed man, and I was quite serious! The day I finally checked my glucose, I threw away PopTarts, frozen hash browns, macaroni, totally purged my food supply. Living alone, it's pretty easy to simply ban certain foods from my home...

...and within a week, I no longer craved the sugar; I still crave potatoes and noodles, but I walk past cookies and donuts with barely a second glance. I wish it had worked that way with booze, I'd have gotten sober thirty years ago!

I think us alkies have some pretty twisted metabolism; it's no damn wonder we have food issues!

Sugar is evil, man...potatoes are just...rude, maybe? At any rate, I'm avoiding both of them, and only really missing one of them.