View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by Liebe View Post
Thank you for the nice welcome. I appreciate your response.
Yes, I do tend to go carb too much.
Im frustrated with my cooking skills. I try new recipes and they never turn out well and my husband gets discouraged. He works a very physical job so he comes home and wants certain foods.
I want to increase protein- but I also have an iron disorder so I have to be careful with meat and certain food combos . Its not anemia- its the opposite- my body absorbs too much iron from my foods so I have to be careful. I dont like many of the other protein sources ( and I also have an egg allergy so thats not a good option). Just laying it all out. Maybe people on here have cookbooks they can recommend? Low card cookbooks? So many are hit and miss. I would still like tasty/satisfying food. I feel like Ive given up so many other things. I dont know if food types is the answer, portion control- a combo of both. Am I working out too much?
I exercise 5 days a week- 2 cardio days ( 20 min per session) and 3 interval training days with weights( 20-25 min per session) . I also have a very energetic dog who needs a daily walk aside from the exercise I mentioned- and thats about 20-25 min per walk. I have hypothryroid, and my levels are fine now- but since increasing my exercise ( doc suggestion)- Im finding its just not coming off. If anything I have gained- and its not muscle- it goes right to my mid section.
Im upset because I dont want to trade one addiction for another. I did that for many years with substance abuse. I am working a 12 step program- I just cant curb this food thing. It really grabbed me. Like I mentioned above, I gave up so much . I never thought it would be with food too.

I totally understand being upset and feeling like you've already given up so much. I feel the same way right now and am in the process of really grieving and accepting the fact that if I want to stop binging I can never have sugar again.

I'm sorry about your health issues- I just don't know how low carb would affect hypothyroidism. I know it can help those with Hashimoto's but I have read mixed things about low carb and what you have.

Since you have to be careful with meat can you eat beans instead? I am a vegetarian (former vegan) and my happiest when it came to cooking was when I was cooking vegan, especially using my Instant Pot. It was so easy and fun! Can you do more bean dishes and would your husband like that? I can definitely recommend vegan cookbooks as I have a good amount! Just let me know.

I am part of a ton of groups on FB if you use that at all- a bunch of plant based instant pot ones which I don't use anymore since I can't eat most beans on low carb and then a vegetarian and even a vegan keto group. I find the FB groups really great- I wonder if you can find one that has recipes you would like?? Also, maybe go to your library and browse the cookbooks? Much better than purchasing and being stuck with something you don't like.

I hope I have helped- I also train 5 -7 days a week so I don't see what you are doing as too much although I don't know how it affects your thyroid so maybe it's the medicine that is increasing your appetite- is that a known side effect??

Either way I hope you can find some peace with all of this. Let me know if I can help in any other way...