Old 06-03-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I’d also like to know what people think, especially those people who say they’d never drink, no matter what, if some calamity occurred.
Short excerpts from p. 206-8 from “Rational Recovery, The New Cure ...” by Jack Trimpey, 1996

Attack Your Beast

Here’s how to attack your Beast. Address it as if it were another person in this way: “You keep trying to convince me that there are good reasons for me to drink alcohol. I just want to hear one good reason why I should drink alcohol, now or in the future. Why should I drink? ...

In desperation your Beast will resort to extremely unlikely scenarios to prove that your Big Plan has holes in it. “Suppose,” it may begin, “you are in a country where the drinking water is unsafe, and you are extremely thirsty, and the only beverage is bottled beer or wine. Wouldn’t you drink something then?” Or it may suggest, “Supposing you suddenly learn that a nuclear war has already begun and the missiles are in the air, and there are only thirty minutes left until the end of everything. What’s the difference what you do then?”...

At first these unlikely scenarios may create a real sense of conflict, which is exactly your Beast’s purpose in resorting to such arguments. But just ask yourself, “What are the actual chances of any of these situations arising?” You will quickly see that the probability is almost zero. Then, recognize that the Beast is attempting to use impossibly low odds to justify its position. Deep pleasure is all it wants, and it will use any warped logic to get it.

But there is something even more sinister in the contrived logic of the Beast, as we may see in the idea of using nuclear war to justify drinking alcohol. What kind of Beast is this that would barter the entire human race and the planet Earth itself for a lousy drink? This example was actually presented ... by a bright man who was struggling with his Big Plan. He said, “I can see not drinking under the usual circumstances, but if the bombs were falling, I know what I would do. I would grab a twelve pack [or litre of vodka] and go to the top of a hill where I could see it happen and go out with a buzz on. ...

[He was asked] Now suppose that you were unable to get any alcohol. Think carefully. What would you do then? The man paused, and tears came to his eyes. “I would hold my family close. They would be afraid. I would want to be with the ones I love. I would not want to be drunk with so little time left.”

A woman considering a Big Plan found that her worst case scenario would be the death of her daughter. She was shocked to realize that her Beast would cash in on tragedy that way, in effect saying, “You shouldn’t have to feel the pain of loss.” She realized, of course, that there is no grief without loss of love, and that the Beast was attempting to deny her the most meaningful emotions that she could experience. She recognized an odd smirking awareness about the possibility of drinking under those conditions.

AVRT is Effortless

There is no reason, ever, to negotiate or attempt to reason with your Beast. You will struggle if you do. ...

- End quotes -

AVRT = Addictive Voice Recognition Technique