Old 06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
I know there are many sober people on SR who found this saying helpful, and i respect that. It didnt ring true for me, though. At the time i quit, i still really wanted to drink (or in retrospect, my beast did). But quitting was not about wanting, it was about choosing. Its about picking a side, or it was for me anyway.
It is ultimately a variation of the 'rock bottom' idea, whereby one sits around, passively waiting for the necessary motivation to abstain to magically appear, all the while, drinking some more. The problem is, that said motivation may be a long time coming, if it ever does, while one waits passively, sinking ever deeper along the way.

The Beast will kill its host, and possibly others, in order to survive. Not because it wants anyone dead per se. In the natural world, parasites don't generally 'want' their hosts to suffer and die, but that often certainly is a side effect of their attempts to sustain life. Best to create one's own moment of clarity, IMO, rather than to simply wait for it.

I recall reading somewhere about raising the bottom...