View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
AVRT is not like CBT, and of course, a “disease” cannot talk. AVRT is not a therapy at all, it simply teaches how to take your healthy, but misplaced, appetite for more of the deep pleasure of alcohol and separate all those thoughts and feelings from the rest of all of YOU. AVRT is a dissociative technique. Using it results in your being able to recognize your Addictive Voice, and that recognition leads you logically and inevitably into making the Big Plan and becoming a common teetotaler whose life is no different from someone who never drank and never will.
Thank you for explaining that. So what do you all do in addition to AVRT?

I encourage you to obtain and carefully read a copy of the book.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning to do so.

You’ve described the iconic “fake pledge” (in red above). Recognize the difference between “want” and “will”, and you will see that your numerous “pledges” came straight out of your Addictive Voice. Yes, conviction is in play, so is common decency, personal morality, and desire for a better life.
This was frustrating to see in hindsight that it was a "fake pledge" since I really did want to stop with every cell of my being, but couldn't. That being said, I don't know if the conviction was there. I like that you mention conviction, desire for a better life, etc. etc. because that is more empowering than focusing on the powerlessness of alcoholism. However, I will continue to remind myself that I am powerless once alcohol goes into my body. But I don't think I am powerless over the decision to pick up that first drink.

By simply stubbornly sticking to using AVRT (separating YOUR voluntary muscle activity from the desire to drink) results in the Big Plan and permanent abstinence.
I like this idea of separating it. Separating the compulsion to drink, from the activity of it.

There is nothing wrong or bad about having an Addictive Voice. It is actually a sign of a healthy midbrain.
I am so glad you said this. I just explained to someone in a PM how I was taught that having an AV like this is bad, it means I'm not spiritually fit, my mind is broken, etc etc. It did not do good things to my already low self esteem/confidence to think this way.

Just don’t ever act upon it. Separate from IT. Putting alcohol in your mouth actually requires a LOT of VERY deliberate actions over a very obvious period of time.
This is a different way of thinking. It used to be sort of compulsive/maybe even a little impulsive for me, I'm not sure. But I can use the "pause" tool, to separate from the AV, once I build the awareness of it and try not to run away from it.

Please explain in detail why it is so hard for you to turn down that first drink, and I think you will begin to see what I mean that making the Big Plan can only be done ONCE in your lifetime.
Well it's been years since I have picked up a drink, fortunately. But looking back, it was because the AV seemed to be automatic. I wasn't viewing it as separate from me, so I listened to those thoughts. I believed their lies. I believed that if I drank I would feel better. My AV had me ignore all the past consequences and had me drink even thought my true self did not want to. I hope that makes sense.

“Want” is one of the Addictive Voice’s favorite words. The AV is totally comfortable if you “want” to be a common teetotaler, just don’t actually DO it.
I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean that the AV doesn't really care what you want, because it only cares what IT wants? And that it needs us to listen to it, in order to survive? If that's it, then it's sort of similar to what I learned about the "ego" part of alcoholism.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. I'm learning a lot from everyone, and I am very grateful. :-)