Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
I never hit any bottom and I was never told by anyone in my life that they thought I needed to quit drinking, ...
The AV loves this kind of introductory posturing. But you know AVRT, and the truth quickly comes out.

Originally Posted by BillieJean
Actually there was one person who told me he wanted me to quit, my teenage son. It was the resentment and pain in his eyes when he said it to me that finally broke through all my BS to motivate me into action.
This is what really happened to get you to make the Big Plan. But, as it appears you almost forgot, that’s perfectly OK. It’s no fun remembering bad things the rest of your life. You don’t have to remember what happened to cause you to finally make your Big Plan. Just knowing you made the Big Plan is enough to remain a common teetotaler the rest of your life.

That’s how it is with me. I don’t need to remember why I made my Big Plan, just that I DID make it.

Interesting how she [the TedTalks speaker] talks about anxiety, that seems to be a common denominator with alkies. I was a very anxious shy child and I remember discovering alcohol as a teenager and right away loving it.
This is the quintessential AV bait and switch. All baloney! Covering up the simple goal of Deep Pleasure with “Ohhh, dear me, let’s get rid of that horrible anxiety.”

I didn't make the connection back then, I didn't call what I was feeling anxiety, ...
Because there was no connection. You had no AV back then to retroactively categorize your personality type.

I still get very anxious today and can worry myself into a state, but I can recognize what's happening ...
and simply dismiss it as AV, or, if I don’t recognize it as AV, the AV will continue on ...
and talk myself down. I have tools like exercise, getting outside, coming here to SR to talk, deep breathing, taking time to be alone - just like what the speaker talks about.
Those “tools” for not drinking are really just you living life.

And finally we come to the AV proposing conditional abstinence.

Drinking will never again be an option ...
This first part of the sentence is an important stand alone plan, the Big Plan. But, but when conditions like
to deal with my uncomfortable feelings.
it is the Addictive Voice trying to insert a T-virus (Thinking-virus) into your Big Plan.

Good TedTalk! Thanks zero.
Any discussion of replacing the effects of drinking/drugging with something else to keep from going back to drinking/drugging can be seen through the lens of AVRT.