Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I'm scared I have done irreparable damage to my body, so much so that I almost try to convince myself it's too late for me and I might as well go on drinking. I have smoked for approximately twenty-five years and drank irresponsibly for the same amount of time, can I really have got away with that?! I had my liver tested a few years ago and was told that I had raised liver enzymes. I stopped for 9 months, and then drank once a month for a about a year...and gradually it has crept up until I have been back drinking every day again.
Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
Eight years damage! I know you mean well, but I think sometimes it is too late. My granddad died of an alcohol related disease at thirty-eight. It frightens me that I might have left it too late.
Well, why don't you visit your doctor? No reason to assume the worst.

My dad (and other people I've known) DID wait too long and died young - but if you're still fairly healthy there is always a good chance that your body will repair itself.

Many of us drank too much for many years and we are physically fine in recovery. The liver is amazingly regenerative when given the chance to recover.