Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

Couple things-
my mom started her alcoholic drinking at 42. I was 11 then; for most of my teens and through college she was on and off a recovery plan. She had a relapse when I was 29. So technically, she has been sober almost 13 yrs this time (I think). She's 72 now so she's faced certain problems with aging and over these years, some of her struggles have been possibly a result of her years of drinking. Or not.

More specifically to you- I quit at 39 and a half after probably a 7-8 year VER2Y hard drinking life. I am now 27+ mo sober and will turn 42 this summer. My live was direly close to cirrhosis but normalized around 90-100 days. There are certain things like meds I can't take bc of the history of liver damage; I am sure I lost brain cells that haven't reformed. I am very active but also get very tired. I am sure there are other things that alcohol- or entering my 40s- contributed to as far as my physical and mental health now.

The bottom line is nothing will get better if you don't quit.

Your experience is going to be your own, as far as your health, so we can only offer our experiences.

A team of great drs- GP, psych, liver and now ortho for a recent back injury- is central to maintaining the good, healthy life (my habits and such are strong plusses too).

Being sober means you've got a chance to live the best life possible NOW. I hope you go for it. IMO if you're still alive, it can only get better.