View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

W,

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Although I am not a religious person per se, my re-introduction to the existence of something greater than me through AA has been a significant part of my sobriety. To me, the Indian parable of the blind men and the elephant is a great analogy for mankind’s search for meaning and the divine. We each grasp the smallest bits of the elephant and claim that what we experience must be the truth, and therefore any contradictory perspective is false.

If we truly believe that this thing is the alpha and the omega, surely we can accept that any attempt to define God will fall be limited and fall short of the truth. I believe that there is no inherent meaning to life; we, like the God described in Genesis in whose image we apparently have been made, are here to create. And perhaps it is our fallibility that makes the small things we do create inherently beautiful and magnificent, like Beethoven’s music despite his lack of hearing. I think the connections we create with one another and the small ways we lift each other during the journey, are what give life its meaning. Your posts have a way of doing that, I suspect for far more people than you might imagine.

Thanks for your honesty and courage to share.