View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
don`t be too concerned about the feelings,just keep doing the right actions by helping others.Sometimes the feelings can stop us from helping others.
Thanks, Tommy. I want to do right by my sponsees. I don't want things like feelings to get in the way. I know that I've surprised myself by how helpful I am as a sponsor, but it's because of my own experience.

Bill W said
I soon found that when all other measure failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day. Many times I have gone to my old hospital in despair. On talking to a man there, I would be amazingly lifted up and set on my feet.
Imagine if Bill hadn't picked up that pay phone when he was at the bar to call what was it like a dozen churches until he found another alcoholic to help? I always feel so much better when I help another.

I believe Bill felt better physically and mentally after trying to help others.
Yes, I read that, too.
Didn't Bill also suffer from depression, or was it depression that was part of his alcoholism?

So if it comes back, is it a spiritual issue or a mental health issue? How to tell?

I wish I had that answer,in that case,maybe it is better to go talk to a professional and see what turns up
That's a good point. Maybe they can tell the difference between the "bedevilments" of untreated alcoholism and clinical depression.

We can`t fix everything,but we can help others stay sober as they seek answers and help for other stuff like
True.

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.
Who was he referring to here? I guess I'm still confused. So a person can recover but still have an underlying issue?

so,thats what I try to do,help others stay sober by the 12 steps
everything else is up to people more qualified and them
That's what I try to do, too. It's a good rule of thumb.